Friday, February 15, 2013

the tea fairy

When I was a little girl there was nothing I used to love more than waking up before my mum on a Saturday morning and being 'the tea fairy'. I used to carefully make a pot of tea, set the tray with the pot, strainer, 2 tea cups and saucers. Sometimes, for the want of real flowers, I would roll pieces of paper into rose shapes and tie the ends with one of my hair ribbons and spray them with a little of my body shop 'tea rose' perfume. I would carefully carry this tray up to my mum and dads room and proudly place it on the floor next to their bed. I'm sure it probably annoyed the hell out of my mum and dad who would have preferred a lie in but it was a special thing I liked to do.
 And so it seems does Rebe, although this morning she took it to new heights and made cakes before I was up. 
When I got down stairs I found the kitchen door firmly closed with these notices taped onto them:
 'If you want a cofy tell my and I will make one with hot water from the tap'
'doo not come in bkus (bakers) tidying! OK'

I was allowed to sit and knit in the living room and was brought my coffee (thankfully made with water from the kettle not the hot tap) until the bakers had cleaned the kitchen and set the table:
 (oh dear God!)..the green stuff is the icing gone slightly wrong as is the lumps of buttery stuff on top is also icing gone wrong
What a glorious breakfast: coffee, a sweet, sweet card,  and an even sweeter cake

a good start to the day
 even Jack enjoyed one of the cakes

 how I love this gorgeous, sweet girl
even if the sink does end up smeared with more butter than went into the cakes in the first place.
It was a good day all together: cake for breakfast then Rebe had a friend to visit and they all worked very hard in the mud kitchen and building site in the garden, leaving me with time on my hands for some crafting. Then we ended the day going out to a cafe for dinner where we ate far too much. Benny complained that he was so full that even his ears hurt :-)
Hope you had a lovely day too :-)

13 comments:

  1. What an amazing treat! I'm so glad to hear that you had such a nice day. *loves*

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to start the day!! It sounds perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, green lumpy frosting is the best kind of frosting I think :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's not the the only thing Becky, the runny green icing soaked up from the bottom so when you bit into the cake it was completely green from inside out!

      Delete
  4. hahaha those are amazing cakes! much better than i would have done as a girl. ~Kristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she truly did well Kristin, she worked without scales or recipe just went from memory and they were nearly edible :-)

      Delete
  5. Oh Laura. How lovely all of this is! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet! I am smiling at the memory of Body Shop 'Tea Rose' perfume... It was also my favourite as a girl, I had a bottle and would spray it on things!!! How funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he he that's so lovely to hear, my mum and I were reminising about this too, funny how those wee details come back to you :-)

      Delete
  7. Aw, such sweetness!
    xoxox Taisa

    ReplyDelete