Monday, October 8, 2012

Ties...

It seems pretty unfair to me that boys don't get to do a lot of accessorizing 
 Girls get jewelry, hair stuff, bags and so on, but there isn't a lot in the ways of accessories for boys...but there are ties...the ultimate boy accessory!
Benny first asked me for a tie when Rebe was getting ready to start back to school in August (she wears a little tie as part of her uniform). At this time we were also reading quite a lot of Milly Molly Mandy. In those books Benny's favourite character and, lets face it, his idol Billy Blunt wears a neck tie too: 

So I made him a neck tie. His first one was the mushroom one. A friend of mine sent me a huge fabric stash for my birthday and Benny immediately picked out the mushroom print as his favourite (as only Benny would). It was the prefect size to make in to a little neck tie. 
I used Rebe's tie as a pattern and it was so quick and simple to make. It has an elastic to go around his neck and Benny loves it so much.
He wears his tie an awful lot.
 Today we dug back into the fabric stash to make a second tie because he keeps leaving his mushroom one at Andy's house, so we thought a spare would be a good thing.
A true 5 minute wonder craft and an accessory every boy should have 1 or 25 of...

If there is any interest I would be very happy to post a tutorial here :-)

12 comments:

  1. Love the ties. Benny looks very professional. Really I dont think there are enough mushroom ties in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. professional as in good at modeling his tie or professional as in an office worker professional? Yes more mushroom ties for all I say :-)

      Delete
  2. Benny looks so good!
    Now all he needs is a button-down shirt.....
    —Carole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's all thanks to you Carole and your wonderful gift :-) He has a little shirt, it's plaid though and clashes horribly....in a very cool way ;-P

      Delete
  3. They are wonderful...My son had one when he was little but now is a little old for an elastic tie (I don't think he could get away with it at 13, but I plan on making him a knit one soon). My younger son might like this type though. Thanks for sharing the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you :-) a knit one, good idea, Benny might like that too :-)

      Delete
  4. I think my husband would quite like a mushroom or banana tie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. brilliant :-)...next Benny is planning red balloons and spiders :-)

      Delete