Friday, October 7, 2011

a year of doll making

On Sunday will be the 1 year anniversary of when I opened my Etsy shop selling Waldorf dolls. Wow I can't believe it's been a year, somehow it feels like I have been making dolls for much longer.I have learnt so much: about waldorf dolls and play, about crafting and sewing, about marketing and selling. Did you know that there is a huge community of women who collect waldorf dolls (I had no idea about this until I started selling them).

I love everything about waldorf dolls. I love their feel and the philosophy behind them. I love the use of natural materials. I love that each and every one is unique.

There are a couple of things that I have really enjoyed making dolls.
Firstly I love that I get the privilege of making someone their 'special'. For someone who holds snuggies and specials as very important I feel so honored that around the world (yes ,I have sent dolls to all corners of the world) there are wee small people who cuddle up with their dolls every night.

Secondly, I love the feedback I get. I have an album on my Under Rainbows facebook page with pictures of my dolls in real life being loved and played with by their little people (http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.200636849971286.50602.171652652869706&type=3) . It just makes my heart burst! "Laura is very talented and really brings the dolls to life. Elijah loves the one she made for him and it is amazing how Finnian unlike other dolls we have has a personality all of his own :-)"





"Your dolls are beautiful and the doll you made for my daughter has become such a loved part of the family that she calls her, her baby sister!"






The third favourite thing I like is doing custom order dolls. I love to be able to make a special doll for someone, with them specifically in mind. Matching hair and eye colour to the little person, keeping in mind their likes, such as favourite colour or interest in dogs or cars. When I make a custom order I ask a million questions of the mama/papa requesting the doll and I have found I develop a really special wee bond with the person I am making the doll with. I feel like we are really doing something together, that I can translate the mama's love and caring for their child through stitches and fabric into a truly love and thought filled gift. It is a really special experience I didn't expect to experience. I have made quite a few friends this way and am still in touch with a lot of the lovely mama's a have made dolls with.




Now I will share with you the dolls that I have made in the last year. I have probably forgotten a few, and I didn't include all of the snuggle buddies I made, but here they are a wee gallery of all the dolls I made in the last year...















































Wow that's a lot of hours of crafting right there. But every stitch worth it :-)


I want to thank all my customers from the bottom of my heart, I truly appreciate all of the support and encouragement.


Don't forget that there is still time to enter my give away to win a waldorf doll (see side bar).


I wonder what the next year will bring for Under Rainbows?

hugs x

9 comments:

  1. grrr blogger is really messing with the formatting. Sorry this looks so all-over-the-place. I'm not very good technically and I can't figure out what's going in with my blog right now. Hope you enjoyed the post anyway :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Laura, I always say this and will say it until I am blue in the face: your dolls are incredible- they are magic, alive, full of love~ they truly are the best I've seen. I can't believe how many you've made!!!! I am so glad you are sharing your gift with others! It is like a part of you is out there all over the place, being hugged in loving arms. :)
    Love and hugs~ Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your first year. My daughter was delighted to see Sally and then herself on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dolls are amazing, you do an incredible job!
    I love the personalities that show through each one, what wonderful creations!! ~April

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Mel and April :-) Michelle I am always so touched by how much your daughter loves her doll. It makes making them so very special :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter adores her doll Mabel and we have had lots of lovely comments about her while we are out and about :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I certainly think Sally is going to be a family heirloom. She's adored and according to my daughter can be a very naughty little sister. Your dolls are beautiful and so much nicer than the hideous plastic creepy ones in shops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Becky, it's mabel, I knew I'd forgotten to add someone. How lovely to hear from you x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there, Laura! My wife is also into doll-making and my two daughters were always getting new dolls every time their mother feels like doing some custom dolls. By now, their rooms are filled with handmade dolls. But we also buy them some dolls on the mall during special occasions.[Chris Jeffery]

    ReplyDelete